The Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa was closed to new applications as of 29th March 2019. This has been replaced by the new Innovator Visa category. Extension applications under the Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa remain open until 5th April 2023, with Settlement Applications accepted until 5th April 2025.
Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa Extensions
Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa holders may apply to extend their stay in the UK provided the following conditions are met:
- Applicants have been registered as a Director of a new or existing UK company or as self-employed within 6 months of arriving in the UK
- Applicants must be able to prove their self-employment, membership of a partnership, or having been working as a business Director for at least 3-months prior to the application
- Applicants must have genuinely invested a minimum of £200,000 into one or more UK businesses to be spent for the purposes of that business or businesses by way of a Director’s Loan, share capital or cash
- Applicants must be able to provide an overview of the activities of their business(es), details of their role within that business (or businesses), and the job titles or descriptions for settled workers working therein
- Any dependents must be included on the application to extend, including children who have reached the age of 18 during the period spent in the UK
Indefinite Leave to Remain Applications
Tier 1 Entrepreneurs may apply to settle permanently in the UK after either 2 years or 5 years, dependent on the growth of their business. In order to apply for fast-track settlement, the business must employ at least 10 settled workers, or achieve a turnaround of £5 million per annum.
Standard Settlement Option — Applying after 5 years:
- Applicants must have been living in the UK for 5 years and have continuously complied with their visa requirements
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they have supported themselves and any dependents in the UK without recourse to public funds throughout the 5-year period
- Applicants must pass the Life in the UK Test
- Applicants must have invested at least £200,000 into one or more UK businesses
- Applicants must be either registered as self-employed with HMRC, or be registered as a Director of a new or existing business with Companies House within a 3-month minimum of the application date
- The applicants’ business investments must have resulted in the recruitment of at least 2 full-time employees for at least 1 year each
- Applicants must not have spent more than 180 days outside of the UK within a 1-year period
Fast-track Settlement Option — Applying after 3 years:
In order to settle permanently as a fast-track option, the applicant must be able to demonstrate that the business or businesses have generated a gross income from business activities of at least £5 million during their 3-year period of leave.
More details of the requirements for the fast-track settlement option will be provided at consultation.