Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer visa
- UK Visa route for skilled workers
- Visa Duration: 3 years
- Permanent Residence: Within 5 years
- Applicants must have a valid certificate of sponsorship
- Extension of stay: Up to a further 2 years
- Eligibility for Citizenship: Within 6 years
The Tier 2 ICT (Intra-Company Transfer) category allows multinational companies to transfer workers to a UK branch from overseas in order to undertake work on a specified UK-based project. The employee must have a confirmed position of employment in the UK and a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from their employer. The employer must hold a valid Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Sponsorship License.
This Visa category does not carry some of the requirements mandatory for other Tier 2 Visa applications:
- No requirement to conduct advertising
- No requirement to conduct the Resident Labour Market Test
- No minimum English language skill level requirement
- No requirement to obtain a Restricted CoS
Processing time is reduced when compared to the time required to process a Tier 2 General Visa application for applicants based outside of the UK. There are no requirements pertaining to the shareholding of the applicant in the company through which they are applying. Therefore, business owners may apply through the Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa process.
However, applicants considering this Visa route should note that unlike the Tier 2 General Visa category, the Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa does not lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) at the end of the 5-year period.
Entry clearance applications
Applicants may reside in the UK through the Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa route for the shorter of up to a maximum stay period as specified for their Visa type, or within the time period as specified on their Certificate of Sponsorship. Applicants may enter the UK up to 14 days prior to the start date as stated on their Certificate of Sponsorship.
The maximum stay period for each type of Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa is:
- Long-Term Staff earning £120,000+ per annum: 9 years
- Long-term Staff earning less than £120,000 per annum: 5 years, 1 month
- Graduate Trainees: 12 months
In order to apply for this category of Visa, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- Applicants must not have received entry clearance or leave to remain as a Tier 2 (General) Migrant at any time during the 12 months immediately prior to the date of the application. Please note that exceptions to this do apply
- Applicants must hold a valid Certificate of Sponsorship for the employment role, and a verified Certificate of Sponsorship reference number
- Applicants must provide evidence that they will earn the required annual salary within their UK employment
- Applicants must provide evidence that they have worked for the employer in their previous location outside of the UK for a prescribed time period:
- Minimum of 12 months if applying as long-term staff and earning under £73,900 per annum
- No minimum if applying as long-term staff and earning over £73,900 per annum
- Minimum 3 months if applying as a Graduate Trainee
Tier 2 ICT Visa extensions
Tier 2 (ICT) Migrants may apply to extend their stay in the UK for the maximum time as allowed for within their Visa type, subject to meeting the eligibility requirements for their Visa sub-category.
Extension applications must be made in the UK prior to expiration of the current Visa held.
Graduate Trainees may extend their Visas by up to 12 months should their initial Visa have been granted for a period shorter than 12 months.