Full-time Immigration Paralegal / Caseworker
We are currently seeking a full-time Junior Immigration Paralegal. The post will cover three main work areas: administrative duties, supporting solicitors and caseworkers with casework, and providing client-facing support.
The successful candidate will be responsible for drafting documents for a variety of applications to be presented to the Home Office and UK Visas & Immigration on behalf of clients, with legal precedents for internal usage.
This role involves responsibility for drafting accurate advice letters for clients, which demonstrate professionalism and problem-solving skills. Correspondence with the Home Office will also be prepared via email or letter seeking clarifications over a number of applications.
Other duties consist of general administrative day-to-day tasks, responsibility for diary management such as arranging client appointments, and writing standard emails and letters.
- Researching cases and identifying any pertinent legal information needed
- Assisting with all stages of a case under the supervision of a solicitor
- Filling out application forms, collating relevant information and advancing cases
- Filing case files and closing cases as and when appropriate
- Preparing and drafting documents and letters, correspondence and filing management
- Updating information in the LEAP system
- Drafting client care letters and letters of engagement for review by a solicitor
- Producing accurate attendance notes including recording telephone calls and/or meetings
- Producing accurate notes documenting the results of legal research
- Creating and/or updating legal precedents including general advice letters and template support letters for issue to the Home Office
- Taking instruction from solicitors and caseworkers
- Taking attendance notes in client meetings and completing any necessary follow-up work as instructed
- Taking initial instructions from clients over the telephone and via email, examining the facts and determining the client objectives before forwarding to a solicitor or caseworker
- Advising clients of costs, for example hourly rates or fixed fees
- Helping with any ad-hoc duties within the office
Essential skills and experience:
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills including a professional telephone manner and efficient diary management
- A self-motivated attitude with the ability to meet deadlines
- Professional manner of conduct, and capacity to liaise with people from all levels of the business, including senior fee earners
- Good analytical skills and paying close attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise effectively, with excellent organisational and administrative skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the capacity to multi-task
- High level IT experience including all Microsoft packages (particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- A minimum of one year’s paralegal experience in the immigration sector
- Excellent English verbal and written communication
- Practical experience in immigration within a legal environment
- General knowledge of English law
Preferable skills and experience:
- Experience or understanding of Tier 1, Tier 2, Appendix FM and EEA cases is preferable
- Education to degree level or equivalent
- Qualification(s) in law, e.g. law degree, CPE and LPC
No opportunities in your area of expertise?
If there are no advertised opportunities in your specific area of expertise, but you are interested in a career with Astons or would like to share your CV with us, please get in touch today! At Astons, we strive to bring new talent on board and you could be just the person we are looking for.